- "Short Sea Shipping and the Ferry Industry", in Jonathan Cowie and Stephen Ison, editors, Routledge Handbook of the Principles of Transport Economics, forthcoming, 2017.
- “Define, Defend and Promote: The Need to Differentiate Short Sea Shipping from International Shipping in the Application and Development of IMO Conventions and National Regulations and Policies”, for CSL Group (through Research and Traffic Group), 2013
- "Providing Freight Services to Remote Arctic Communities: Are There Lessons for Practitioners from Services to Greenland and Canada's Northeast?", with Dr. Mary R. Brooks, Research in Transportation Business & Management, 2011
- “Atlantic Canada Ports and Indian Trade”, Indian Ports and Infrastructure Review, November 2011 (with Robert J. McCalla)
- "The Close Dry Port and the Canadian Context", Proceedings of the 45th Annual Conference, Canadian Transportation Research Forum, May 30-June 2, 2010.
- "Short Sea Developments in Europe - Lessons for Canada" (with Dr. Mary R. Brooks), Proceedings of the 44th Annual Conference, Canadian Transportation Research Forum, May 24-27, 2009; reprinted by North American Transportation Competitiveness Research Council, Working Paper 10, July 2009.
- "Reaching Out: Transload extends the accessible market in Halifax", (with Stephen Kymlicka), Atlantic Institute for Market Studies, July 2007.
- "The Use of Containers in Canada", Proceedings of the 42nd Annual Conference, Canadian Transportation Research Forum, June 3-6, 2007.
- "Shipping Out: The Development of a Gateway Hub at the Port of Halifax", Atlantic Institute for Market Studies, April 2006.
- "Short Sea Shipping: a Canadian perspective" (with Dr. Mary R. Brooks), Maritime Policy Management, Oct-Dec 2004, Vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 393-407.
- "Port-Ability: A Private Sector Strategy for the Port of Halifax," Atlantic Institute for Market Studies, June 2001 (with Brian Lee Crowley and Charles Cirtwill).
- Dartmouth Industrial Profile, City of Dartmouth Industrial Commission, 1980
- Industrial Opportunities in the Annapolis Valley, Annapolis Valley Affiliated Boards of Trade, 1980
- "The Merchants' Bank of Halifax, 1864-1901", Journal of the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society, forthcoming, 2017.
- "The Stairs Fleet of Halifax", The Northern Mariner, Vol. XXII, No. 3. (July 2012)
- "The Union Bank of Halifax, 1856-1910", Journal of the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society, 2012, Vol. 15, 2012
- Review Article" Corey Slumkowski, Inventing Atlantic Canada: Regionalism and the Maritime Reaction to Newfoundland's Entry into Canadian Confederation, Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2011, in International Journal of Maritime History, Vol. XXIII, No 2, December 2011, pp. 394-96.
- Canada's Atlantic Gateway: An Illustrated History of the Port of Halifax, 1749-2007, Nimbus Publishing, Halifax, 2008.
- "Halifax: The Wharf of the Dominion, 1867-1914": Journal of the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society, 2005.
- Merchant Princes: Halifax's First Family of Finance, Ships and Steel, James Lorimer & Company, Toronto, 2003.
- "Dartmouth Ropeworks, 1868-1956," in James E. Candow, ed., Industry and Society in Nova Scotia: An Illustrated History, Fernwood Press, Tantallon, 2001.
- "Max Aitken and Maritime Finance", Acadiensis Vol. XXX, 2 (Spring 2001), pp. 131-140.
- "The Aborted British Invasion: The Case of Swan Hunter Shipbuilders, 1899-1915," Journal of the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society, 1999
- "Thomas Fyshe," Dictionary of Canadian Biography,Vol. XIV, 1997
- "The 'Nationalization' of the Bank of Nova Scotia, 1880-1910", Acadiensis, The Journal of the History of the Atlantic Provinces, Vol. XII, No. 1, Autumn 1982; reprinted in Tom Traves, ed. Essays in Canadian Business History, McClelland and Stewart, Toronto, 1984; and Industrialization and Underdevelopment in the Maritimes, 1880-1930, Garamond Press, Toronto, 1985